C. S. Lewis was a famous Irish author who wrote more than 30 books, but he is best known throughout the world for his fantasy series, The Chronicles of Narnia.
While teaching at Magdalen College, a part of Oxford University, C.S. Lewis joined a literary group called The Inklings along with his fellow writer J. R. R. Tolkien. There, Lewis re-embraced Christianity and earned fame for writing apologist texts in which he explained spirituality by means of logic and philosophy.
During World War II, when people relied on faith almost entirely, Lewis began giving radio broadcasts on Christianity. His speeches became very popular in such dark times and won many converts.
C. S. Lewis is regarded as one of the most important writers of the 20th century. Here are 15 C. S. Lewis quotes to remind you some things about kindness and honesty.
- Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching.
- Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn.
- Crying is all right in its way while it lasts. But you have to stop sooner or later, and then you still have to decide what to do.
- Friendship is born at the moment when one man says to another ‘What! You too? I thought I was the only one.’
- If we find ourselves with a desire that nothing in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that we were made for another world.
- Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person’s ultimate good as far as it can be obtained.
- You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.
- I have learned now that while those who speak about one’s miseries usually hurt, those who keep silence hurt more.
- Mental pain is less dramatic than physical pain, but it is more common and also harder to bear.
- What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing. It also depends on what sort of person you are.
- A proud man is always looking down on things and people; and, of course, as long as you are looking down, you cannot see something that is above you.
- Miracles are a retelling in small letters of the very same story which is written across the whole world in letters too large for some of us to see.
- You never know how much you really believe anything until its truth or falsehood becomes a matter of life and death to you.
- Nothing you have not given away will ever really be yours.
- Do not let us mistake necessary evils for good.